May 2016 Board Meeting
May 2016 Board Meeting
Members Present: John Comer, Duane Eversoll, Jack Goebel, Jim Griesen, Julie Johnson, Rita Kean, Roger Kirby, Al Seagren, Doug Zatechka.
Jim Griesen, President, called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm.
Alumni Association. Andrea Cranford
Andrea announced her retirement reception will be on June 22 from 3:30- 5:00PM at the Alumni Association. Her successor, Kristen Wilder will begin August 8, 2016.
Jim Griesen thanked Andrea Cranford for her valued support and assistance with the Emeriti Association.
Jim Griesen announced three topics for Board discussion:
- Emeriti Association increase in Dues
- Expansion of Emeriti Association to include additional UNL retirees.
- Potential partnership with the Nebraska Alumni Association
Griesen distributed five handouts to each of the Board members to assist with the discussion:
- Dues Increase Proposal from the Executive Committee
- Big 10 Member Institution Dues Information
- Partnership Proposal from the Nebraska Alumni Association for UNL Retirees
- Nebraska Alumni Association Member Benefits
1. Emeriti Association increase in Dues (Constitution/Bylaws. Article VIII) Griesen referred to Article VIII which authorizes the Board of directors to set membership dues as warranted. He referred the Board to the Dues Increase Proposal from the Executive Committee handout which included the following:
Effective January 1, 2017
- Increase Association dues from $10/year to $25/year
- Eliminate the option to pay for three years of membership at a reduced rate
- Change in Life Membership fee from $200 to $500 for calendar year 2017.
- Terminate the Life Membership option as of December 31, 2017.
It was suggested by John Comer that the option to pay for three years of membership at a reduced rate be eliminated from the document. Duane Eversoll moved to accept the changes in the Dues for the Association document (with Comer’s suggestion). It was seconded by Al Seagren. After discussion it was agreed that only the reduced rate would be eliminated and that multiple-year dues payments would continue to be offered. The motion was passed unanimously.
Julie Johnson suggested that Griesen include rationale for the dues increase in the Fall 2016 newsletter, which will be sent in August, as well as make an official announcement at the Fall meeting. Roger Kirby will send a separate email to Association members about the change in dues prior to the August newsletter.
2. Expansion of Emeriti Association to include additional UNL retirees. Griesen asked the Board to consider expanding the Emeriti Association membership to include managerial/professional and office/service employees. He asked Board members to think of persons from each of the two groups who might serve on a transition committee. He suggested that it might also be wise to ask current members of the Emeriti Association for recommendations of retired managerial/professional and office/service employees who could serve on the committee. It was agreed that a proposed change to the Association’s Constitution/Bylaws should be presented to the membership for a vote at the October business meeting. John Comer agreed to draft such a Constitution/Bylaws amendment .
3. Potential partnership with the Nebraska Alumni Association. Griesen asked Board members to review the proposal from the Nebraska Alumni Association regarding the proposed partnership with the Alumni Association.
- Doug Zatechka indicated the Association would use Premiere Catering for its Fall 2016 luncheons.
- Julie Johnson requested that the Newsletter be made a Standing Committee.
- John Comer asked Board members to review the Constitution/Bylaws document and get back to him with thoughts/questions/ recommendations. Comer will also check the policy statement as to which Board members serve on the Executive Committee.
- It was agreed that the Emeriti Board will need to meet in mid-August to discuss the slate of officers (VP/President-elect and Director) for 2017. Greisen will send out possible dates for the August meeting and ask Board members to indicate their availability for each possible date. .
The meeting was adjourned at 2:25 PM.
- John Ballard – Professor and Associate Dean, College of Engineering
- Patricia Bryant – Secretary, Department of Agricultural Economics
- Charles Marion Godwin – Professor, College of Education and Human Sciences.
- Alan McCutcheon – Donald Clifton Chair of Statistics and Survey Research and Methodology.