April 2017 Association Minutes
April 2017 Association Minutes Nebraska East Union 11:30am
Call to Order. President Julie Johnson called the meeting to order at 12:05pm.
Memory Moments. President Johnson read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence to honor those listed.
- M. Marie Fischer, Community and Regional Planning
- Betty Jean Sjogren (Merle), UNMC
- Gay Gallop, wife of Gordon Gallop, Professor of Chemistry
- Leroy “Butch” DeVries, Bob Devaney Sports Center
- Mary Bree, Teachers College
- President Johnson reported that 26 individuals have been approved for collegial membership and letters of invitation have been sent.
- President Johnson gave two presentations about the UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association at the April UNL Retirement Seminars sponsored by Human Resources.
Treasurer’s Report. President Johnson reported Treasurer Jack Goebel indicated the organization is solvent.
- Coffee House Chats—The next Coffee House Chat is scheduled for May 10, 2017, 9:30am, at the home of Don and Rita Weeks, 6610 West Shore Drive, Lincoln.
- Tour—A tour of Prairie Pines is scheduled for June. More information will be provided by Kay Rockwell as it becomes available.
- Survey—Past President Jim Griesen reported good response to the association survey. He announced the survey was not yet closed but those who wished to participate needed to do so. Interesting information has been gleaned from the survey, such as almost 50% of our members also being members of the Nebraska Alumni Association and how many respondents give back to the university both with talents and money. President Johnson thanked Jim and the rest of the committee for their work on the survey.
Speaker. Vice President Rita Kean introduced Robert Diffendal, Emeritus Professor Survey Division—School of Natural Resources, and Adjunct Professor University Museum. Dr. Diffendal’s presentation focused on information in his newly published book, Great Plains Geology. He thanked the UNL Emeriti Association for the $2,000 grant that helped him complete his research for the book.
Upcoming Luncheon Programs. Vice President Kean reminded attendees of the upcoming luncheon program schedule. Please note: The June 2, 2017 President’s Retiree Luncheon has been cancelled because of the current budget cut situation.
- September 2017 (date TBA), Chancellor Ronnie Green Luncheon
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017, Mike Boehm, Harlan Vice Chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources and Vice President of Agriculture and Natural Resources for the University of Nebraska System.
- Thursday, November 16, 2017, John Woollam, George Holmes Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering, Founder and President, JA Woollam Company, Why would a professor start a business?
The meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm.