April 2016 Board Minutes
April 2016 Board Minutes
Members Present: Nancy Aden, John Bernthal, John Comer, Jack Goebel, Jim Griesen, Julie Johnson, Doug Jose, Rita Kean, Jeff Keown, Roger Kirby, Al Seagren, Doug Zatechka.
Jim Griesen, President, called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm
- Alumni Association Update – Jordan Gonzales. Jordon thanked the members of the Emeriti Board (Jim Griesen, Doug Jose, Jeff Keown) who agreed to serve as greeters for the the Undergraduate Commencement on May 7, from 7:30 AM-9:30 AM). Each will receive a premier parking pass that will allow access to the Pinnacle Bank parking garage.
- Memory Moments:
- Earl B. Barnawell – Biological Sciences
- Shirley May Clifton – worked in Agronomy, Widow of Don Clifton in Educational Psychology
- Arlene Jane Rash – Office Administrator – Philosophy
- Betty Schmersal-Carlile - Administrative Secretary- Agronomy
Treasurer’s Report – Jack Goebel.Balances: Wisherd Funds (Spendable Funds) $17,208.00 Emeriti 9,973.00 Big 10 Conference 2,620.00 Wells Fargo 9,380.00
- Catering for 2016-17 Luncheon Meetings – Doug Zatechka
- Doug reported that the current price per meal by the present caterer in $15.25 including taxes and gratuities.
- As of AY 2016-19, Premiere Catering Service will be the exclusive catering vendor that can be used for on campus events. Doug shared their current pricing menus. Meal pricing is for the entree only and does not cover the following: 9 ½ % sales tax, gratuity, dessert and water.
- Discussion followed as to investigating alternative venues, that is, The Landing, Southeast Community College, Innovation Campus
- Julie Johnson moved that the Committee members, John Bernthal, John Comer, Jim Griesen, Jeff Keown and Doug Zatechka explore options and report back to the Board. 2
- Emeriti Luncheon – Julie Johnson
- Julie indicated that for the April 22 luncheon featuring Chancellor Perlman, 91 persons will attend. Five have requested no lunch.
- Julie reported that the speaker for November 17, 2016 luncheon has been confirmed. Dona-Gene Barton, Associate Professor, Department of Political Science will present “After the Election.” She is waiting to hear from Kim Raucsher as to the incoming Chancellor, Ronnie Green’s availability for the October luncheon. Julie is seeking names of potential speakers for Spring 2017
- Big Ten Conference – Jim Griesen, Julie Johnson, John Bernthal
- Jim Griesen shared a letter of invitation that he and John Bernthal plan to send to Presidents of each of the BIG 10 Retirement Associations about the conference scheduled for August 5-7, 2016. Included with the letter is a registration form. Roger Kirby suggested that the times for the conference also be included in the registration forms.
- Julie Johnson reported that she and Marilyn Schnepf were accumulating items for the BIG 10 Conference gift bags.
- Jim indicated that Annette Wetzel was working on possible venues for the reception and dinner.
- John Bernthal stated that the next Program Committee meeting is April 26.
- Membership Expansion Committee Report. Jim Griesen.
- Jim Griesen reported he had a very positive meeting with Bruce Curran about expanding the Emeriti Association to include all UNL retirees. The only issue is that campus parking permits are limited to Emeriti faculty.
- Committee Reports:
- Benefits. Doug Zatechka- no report.
- Coffee House. Nancy Aden reminded the Board the next Coffee House will be held at Crescent Moon on May 17 at 9:30 AM. Rita Weeks will schedule the Coffee House and other social events for AY 2016-17.
- Emeriti Oral History. Doug Jose reported that he will be interviewing Emeriti Faculty Patricia Crews and Terry Riordon in the near future.
- Faculty Senate. Jeff Keown – no report.
- Member Relations. Kay Rockwell- no report.
- Membership. Roger Kirby submitted the following report as to membership:
Emeriti Association Active Membership April 14, 2016
441 members (13 are 3 years in arrears, 5 have never paid dues)
20 Spousal Members
116 Life Members
197 members (6 are 3 years in arrears, only two in Lincoln)
104 Spousal members
59 Life members
Roger will send emails/letters to those 19 members who are in arrears in dues
- Newsletters. Julie Johnson- no report.
- Website. John Comer has contacted UNL Libraries about issue with the Oral Histories not working properly. He will follow up so the website is more user friendly. Jack Goebel inquired as to how many hits there were on the Website. John Comer will follow up.
- General Discussion. Emeriti faculty will be able to pick up their free on campus parking permits as of June 1, 2016.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:21 PM. The next Board Meeting is May 10 at 1:00 PM at the Alumni Center.