October 2019 Board Minutes East Campus Union
Members Present: Pat Crews, Jim Griesen, Kim Hachiya, Earl Hawkey, Jeff Keown, Don Weeks, Sue Gildersleeve, John Comer, Tom Hoegemeyer, Alfred Stark, Rita Kean
President Jeff Keown called the meeting to order at 1:30pm.
1. Meeting Minutes.
The minutes of the September 12, 2019 board meeting were presented; Pat Crews moved approval and Vi Schroeder seconded the motion. The board unanimously approved the minutes as presented.
2. Memory Moments.
Roy Arnold, Vice Chancellor, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources
3. Treasurer’s Report.
Earl Hawkey reported that the association’s finances are in good standing. He noted that the Wisherd spendable fund is lower than usual because most of the year’s award payouts have occurred.
4. President’s Report.
- Jeff noted that reservations have been made for all Board of Directors meetings to be held at the East Union for the upcoming year. The plan is to move these meetings to Wick Alumni Center beginning in January.
- Jeff reported that the slate for the election of officers is set for presentation at the upcoming luncheon meeting.
5. Luncheon/Program Updates.
- The October 25 luncheon meeting topic will be What’s Happening with Solar Electric – For Homes, Businesses and Utilities, presented by F. John Hay, Extension Educator, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- The November 22 luncheon meeting topic will be Small in Vivo Robots for Surgery, presented by Dr. Shane Farritor, David and Nancy Lederer Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Kim continues to work on arranging luncheon programs beginning in January. Invitations have been extended to Susan Fritz to talk about the relationship of NU and building the state workforce (January); Connie Boehm to talk about student resilience (February); and Chuck Hibberd to talk about the 2019 floods (March). Confirmations have not yet been received. It was noted that the spring “yellow card” must be completed in November due to the university shutdown over semester break.
6. OLLI Program Offerings and Newsletter Coordination.
Due to the timing of the fall newsletter, announcement of the courses that the Emeriti and Retiree Association co-sponsors with OLLI doesn’t reach our membership prior to OLLI course registration. Rita mentioned that Bob Michl will get in touch with Jeff regarding the next term (term 3) courses with the expectation that this decision can be made in a more timely fashion and be announced in the newsletter prior to course registration.
7. Roger Kirby Recognition.
Rita Kean proposed making a donation to the Roger and Sue Kirby Fund at the NU Foundation in honor of Roger Kirby’s long and exemplary service as the membership chair for the Emeriti and Retiree Association. Kim moved that the association make a donation of $150.00 to the fund; Jim seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. Jeff plans to check whether Roger is able to attend an upcoming luncheon meeting in order to be publicly recognized as he steps down as membership chair.
8. Maude Wisherd Awards.
Pat moved increasing the awards amount to $500.00; Jim seconded the motion, which passed unanimously. Pat commented that it might make sense to change the timing of the award, which is currently March 1 since we now announce the awards at the September meeting. Earl said that approximately one-half of the award funds are spent by the recipients over the summer months so delaying the awards to a later date might not be helpful to the award winners. After further discussion no change was made with respect to the timing of the awards process.
9. Other Business—Don Weeks.
- He has arranged for Judy Walker and Gayle Page to attend the February 11, 2020 board meeting to discuss UNL retiree programs. The association is interested in seeing UNL’s retirement planning programs and support improved. Don plans to seek a volunteer to lead the association’s efforts in this regard.
- The association is a member of the Association of Retirement Organizations in Higher Education (AROHE). Kim noted that she has arranged to watch a AROHE webinar on the topic of retirement planning. Don plans to explore the benefits the association receives from AROHE.
10. Other Business
- Jim Griesen brought up the topic of whether we want to go back to printing up nametags in advance of the luncheon meetings.
- Sue Gildersleeve asked whether it would be possible to remind luncheon attendees that correct change for the box lunches and beverages is appreciated.
Meeting adjourned at 2:35pm.
October 21, 2019 – Coffee Chat and Morrill Hall Tour, 9:00 AM
October 25, 2019 – Membership Luncheon, 11:30 AM, Lancaster Extension Education Center
November 7, 2019 – Executive Committee Meeting, 2:00 PM, Braeda
November 13, 2019 – Coffee Chat, 9:30 AM, The Landing
November 14, 2019 – Board of Directors Meeting, 1:30 PM, ECU
November 22, 2019 – Membership Luncheon, 11:30 AM, Lancaster Extension Education Center
December 10, 2019, Board Retreat, 11:00-1:00, Wick Alumni Center