March 2018 Association Minutes Nebraska East Union 11:30 AM
1. Call to Order. President Rita Kean called the meeting to order at 12 noon. She read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence in honor of those listed.
- Leona Shields—spouse of Roscoe Shields
- Clara Harrington
- Kenneth Holm
2. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Earl Hawkey reported revenue exceeded expenditures and the association is solvent.
3. Updates and Reminders.
- OLLI/UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association. OLLI and the association have signed a written agreement to allow association members to sign up for one specific OLLI course per semester for $30 each without OLLI membership. The first course, From Prairie University to Big Ten, begins March 29, 2018. Call to register.
- Tour of University Housing will take place on March 23. There will be coffee served at 9:00am, followed by a 9:30am tour. Because it is over Spring Break, parking will be provided at no charge.
- The Big Event is scheduled for April 7, 2018. This is a day when UNL students volunteer for up to three hours of service to residents or community organizations in Lincoln. Deadline to request volunteers is March 23.
- Coffee House Chats.
- April 11 in the Haymarket Courtyard (808 P Street) with an alternative site of Crescent Moon Coffee Shop in case of inclement weather.
- May 9 on the outside deck at Wilderness Ridge.
4. Program. President Kean introduced the luncheon speaker, Matt Waite, Professor of Practice, College of Journalism and Mass Communications, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Waite’s topic was Drones and the First Amendment. He discussed the history of drones, how they are used today, and the question of how to balance the rights of property owners’ privacy and free speech. He also showed different types of drones and actually flew drones around the room.
5. April Luncheon is scheduled for Thursday April 19, 2018. The speaker will be Dr. Joe Luck, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist for Precision Agriculture, Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
6. Meeting adjourned at 1:00pm.