February 2019 Board Minutes East Campus Union
Members Present: Present were: John Comer, Sue Gildersleeve, Jim Griesen, Kim Hachiya, Julie Johnson, Doug Jose, Earl Hawkey, Jeff Keown, Jack Schinstock, Vi Schroeder
President Jeff Keown called the meeting to order at 1:35pm.
1. Memory Moment: Don J. Nelson, Engineering, David Keith, Entomology
2. Minutes. The minutes of the January UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association Board Meeting were approved.
3. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Earl Hawkey reported dues payments have exceeded projected budget. Dues collected $4,325, budgeted $3,500. Hawkey explained the association’s Foundation Wisherd and Emeriti accounts have too much spendable income that is not earning interest. He suggested recapitalizing in the accounts to earn interest: $10,000 of the Wisherd account and $1,000 of the Emeriti account. The Wisherd account could earn $500 a month in interest. John Comer moved, Kim Hachiya seconded the treasurer be authorized to review the accounts and bring a proposal regarding recapitalization to the board. Motion passed.
Hawkey also reported difficulty getting scholarship money from the Foundation for award recipients last year.
4. Membership. No report.
5. Past President. No report on First Generation Project and commencement.
6. Awards. Pat Crews will chair the Award Committee. No co-chair will be named. Nominations for university and community service award are due March 1. Requests for Wisherd research grants also due March 1. Doc Elliott Award nominations not due to Nebraska Alumni Associatio until July 1.
7. Programs. Vice President Jack Schinstock reported there are 70 registrations for the February general membership luncheon meeting. Registrants had the option of ordering a boxed lunch ($16), coffee only ($2), or no lunch/coffee. Offering coffee as an option was well accepted at the last meeting. Athletics Director Bill Moos will be the speaker. Jim Griesen will send Schinstock the Excel template for name tags.
Schinstock also reported continuing to look for a venue for general membership luncheon meetings once the Nebraska East Union is unavailable due to renovation. The Lancaster County Extension location continues to be a possibility.
- March 19, 2019—Heath Mello, Associate Vice President for University Affairs, University of Nebraska
- April 18, 2019—Fred Luthans, George Holmes Distinguished Professor of Management, College of Business, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Dates for fall luncheons are not yet set. The webpage will indicate fall meetings will be on Tuesday or Thursday of the third week of the month. Possible topics for fall luncheon meetings include gerrymandering, and what defines a hero.
8. Coffee House Chat. The last Coffee House Chat was held February 13 at Rock n Joe Coffee Bar.
9. Liaisons with University. President Keown reported the association still needs to name liaisons with the Faculty Senate, UAAD, and UNOPA. Vi Schroeder will contact Roshan Pajnigar regarding UAAD. Lyda Snodgrass was suggested as another possibility.
10. Board Replacement. President Keown announced Tom Hoegemeyer will fill the board position vacated by Nancy Aden.
11. Newsletter. Julie Johnson thanked the newsletter committee for great work on the Spring Newsletter. The board thanked Julie for completing the newsletter and for the diverse content.
12. Benefits. Sue Gildersleeve is meeting with the University’s Risk Manager about retiree benefits. She asked for suggestions of topics to be covered in that meeting.
13. Other Business.
- UNL Baseball. The board earlier discussed the possibility of an association tailgate/baseball game this spring. Kim Hachiya reported tickets go on sale February 26 for UNL baseball games, general admission $7 each. Possible dates: April 26, 27, 28 (Illinois), May 10 (Arizona State), and May 16, 17, 18 (Michigan). Tailgate possible in the overflow lot.
- General discussion of the University N150 lecture series. Those who have attended so far have been very impressed and encouraged others to attend.
Meeting adjouned at 2:45pm.