February 2019 Association Minutes East Campus Union
The meeting was called to order by President Jeff Keown at 11:55am.
Memory Moments. President Keown read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence to honor those listed.
- Don J. Nelson, Engineering
- David Keith Entomology
Treasurer’s Report. Earl Hawkey reported the association financially solvent.Future
Luncheon Programs. President Keown reminded members the Nebraska East Union will not be available as a luncheon venue next fall, possibly even late this spring. The board is investigating other venue options and welcomes suggestions from the membership. One possible option is Lancaster County Extension. President Keown reminded members of upcoming luncheon programs:
- March 19, 2019—Heath Mello, Associate Vice President for University Affairs, University of Nebraska
- April 18, 2019—Fred Luthans, George Holmes Distinguished Professor of Management, College of Business, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Other Upcoming Association Opportunities.
- President Keown announced the association tour for fall 2019 will be the newly renovated fourth floor of Morrill Hall. More detailed information will be provided in the fall.
- There will be an association spring tailgate prior to a Nebraska baseball game in May. More information provided as available.
Commencement Volunteers. Eleven association members volunteered to help the Nebraska Alumni Association with winter commencement. Volunteers greeted guests, provided programs, and helped direct guests. May 4 will be the university’s first split undergraduate commencement with one at 9:30am and the other at 3:00pm. More volunteers will be required, so all association members are encouraged to contact Katie Brock at the Nebraska Alumni Association.
Luncheon Speaker. President Keown introduced Bill Moos, 15th Director of Athletics at the University of Nebraska. Moos discussed his history in athletic administration, his first months at Nebraska, and his responsibility for 625 student athletes. He also responded to attendees’ questions regarding coaches’ salaries and responsibilities, NCAA structure, paying student athletes, and concussions.
President Keown adjourned the meeting at 1:00pm.