August 2019 Board Minutes Home of Jeff Keown
Members Present: John Comer, Jim Griesen, Kim Hachiya, Julie Johnson, Rita Kean, Jeff Keown, Vi Schroeder, Don Weeks, Sue Gildersleeve, Doug Jose, John Bernthal, Rita Weeks
President Jeff Keown called the meeting to order at 1:30pm.
1. The proposed slate of officers is as follows:
- President: Don Weeks, beginning January 2020
- President-elect: Kim Hachiya, beginning January 2020
- Elected Board Officers with terms ending as follows:
- 2021: John Bernthal, (to complete remaining two years of Kim Hachiya’s term)
- 2022: Viann Schroeder, new full three-year term
Tom Hoegemeyer continues to serve his term which ends December 2020.
1. Don Weeks noted that it will be necessary to select a new Coffee House Chat Chair since he will become president of the Association. He and wife Rita have served in this capacity for the past several years. He also thanked Sue Gildersleeve for her assistance in arranging the coffee prior to the August 14th tour of the new Nursing College/UNL Health Center.
1. Programming for Fall – Luncheons are set as follows;
- September 23: Foundation Luncheon; invitations to come from NU Foundation. Award recipients to be recognized (Pat Crews)
- October 25: John Hay, BSE: Solar Energy and the Proposed Solar Park
- November 22: Shane Farritor, Engineering College: What’s New in Medical Devices
The September luncheon will be held at Innovation Campus. The October and November luncheons will be held at the Lancaster Extension Education Center, 444 Cherrycreek Road, Lincoln. Catering will be by ChefauChef, with choice of ham and cheese sandwich or veggie wrap meal and beverage at a cost of $10. The price will be set at $12.00 for the meal or $2.00 for beverage only. The Association will pay $100.00 for the room. Doug Jose noted that it might be worth considered having ChefauChef cater a “hot meal” (as opposed to box lunch) at one of the upcoming lunches at the Lancaster Extension Education Center.
1. The fall coffee/tour will be at Morrill Hall on October 21, 2019. Kay Rockwell is in charge of arrangements.
1. Potential discussion topics for the August 28th meeting with NU Interim President Susan Fritz include a review of membership numbers and program topics. Jeff Keown, Don Weeks and Rita Kean will attend the meeting on behalf of the Association.
1. The schedule for upcoming executive committee, board and luncheon meetings was reviewed with a final version to be re-sent to the board.
1. Kim Hachiya provided a summary of the Big Ten Retirees Conference she and Pat Crews attended at the University of Illinois. She shared several ideas gleaned from other attendees that we might want to consider as future programs or ways to support retirees and help attract them to join the Association.
Meeting adjourned at 2:45 pm.
Executive Committee—September 5, 2019, 1:30 pm, Braeda
Board Meeting—September 12, 2019, 1:30 pm, East Campus Union