April 2018 Association Minutes Nebraska East Union 11:30 AM
Call to Order. President Rita Kean called the meeting to order at 12 noon.
1 The President read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence in honor of those listed.
- Ariel Bybee, former Glenn Korff School of Music Artist-in-Residence and Associate Professor of Voice, spouse of Jim Ford, Professor of English
- Barbara Gardner Churchill, Arts and Sciences
- Terry Dukes, Entomology
- ZB Mayo, Professor or Entomology
- James Harold Richter, Server Systems Administrator
- Stanley Alfred Sipple, Accounting
- Amy Tuttle, Nutrition Scienes
- John Wolter, Professor of Aerospace Studies
2. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Earl Hawkey reported revenue exceeded expenditures and the association is solvent.
3. Presentation of 2018 Awards.
- Service to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln—John Bernthal
- Service to the Community—Dick Dienstbier
A $400 donation will be made in honor of each of these award recipients to either the Emergency Aid to Students Program at UNL or to a charity of the recipients choice.
- Wisherd Award Grant for Reasearch, Scholarly or Creative Activity.
- Donald P. Weeks—Development and application of Gene Editing Techniques for Use in Algal Systems--$2,000
- Donald Johnson—Preservation of the USS Arizona--$1,750.
4. Updates and Reminders.
- Housing Tour—Thanks to Kay Rockwell and Doug Zatechka for arranging the housing tour on March 23.
- Coffee Chat—May 9 on the outside deck at Wilderness Ridge. Thanks to Rita and Don Weeks for arranging.
- Alumni Association
- July 20--Future Huskers University—a program for grandparents and their grandchildren ages 7-13 to come to campus for a one-day university experience together. Brochures were available.
- NAA travel program brochures for 2019 available.
- Duane Eversoll, Emeritus Professor, School of Natural Resources, and a board member of the UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association, is being honored by NAA as a Distinguished Alumnus.
- Neb 50—Request from Mary Ellen Ducey, UNL Library Archivist for thoughts and memories of the 1968 merger of UNL and UNO. The Archives and Special Collections at UNL and UNL, along with UNMC and UNK, are collaborating on events and an online exhibit in the fall of 2018. Contact her at email@example.com or 402.472.5076.
5. Program. President Kean introduced the luncheon speaker, Dr. Joe Luck, Associate Professor and Extension specialist for Precision Agriculture, Biological systems engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. His topic was 21st Century Technologies for Agricultural Production Systems. He discussed smart farming practices and methods as well as the future of agriculture using data warehousing, production benchmarking, production analysis, in-season monitoring, and data ecosystems.
6. Meeting adjourned at 1:00pm.