January 2018 Association Minuites Nebraska East Union 11:30 AM
1. Call to Order. President Rita Kean called the meeting to order at 12 noon.
She read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence in honor of those listed.
- Laura Mitzi Hurlbutt—Spouse of Robert
- Leo H Kirchoff
- Edward Penas—Extension Agronomist, Southeast Extension Center
- Audrey Newton—Professor Emerita and former Chair, Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design
- Thomas Edward Rinkevich—Professor Emeriti, Classics and Religious Studies
2. Introduction of Board. President Kean introduced the 2018-2019 UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association Board Members.
3. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Earl Hawkey reported revenue exceeded expenditures and the association is solvent.
4. Updates and Reminders.
- Awards Committee. The UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association is awarding three types of awards this year: Wisherd Award for Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities (application form required), Service to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Award (nominations by letter), and Service to the Community Award (nomination by letter). Submission of applications/nominations are due to the Awards Committee March 1, 2018.
- Benefits. Updated listings of benefits for emeriti and retirees will be posted on the association website as soon as the final new benefits have been added.
- First Generation Nebraska Initiative. Emeriti and retirees are welcome to participate in activities for first generation students. Thursday, March 1 a coffee chat for faculty and staff will be held from 7:30am to 9:30am.
- Coffee House Chat scheduled for February 14 will be a Valentine’s Day Party at the home of Don and Rita Weeks.
- Tour of University Housing is scheduled for March 23, during spring break. Coffee will be provided at 9:00am with the tour following at 9:30. More information will be sent out prior to the tour.
5. Program. Vice President Jeff Keown introduced the luncheon speaker, Dr. Donde A. Plowman, Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Her topic was UNL and Its Future.
6. Future Luncheons.
- Tuesday, February 20—Japanese American Internment and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Kim Hachiya, retired writer, University Communications, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Tuesday, March 20—Drones and the First Amendment, Matt Waite, Professor of Practice, College of Journalism and Mass Communications, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Thursday, April 19—21st Century Technologies for Agricultural Production Systems, Dr. Joe Luck, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist for Precision Agriculture, Biological systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- May—President’s Luncheon TBA
7. Meeting adjourned at 1:00pm.