February 2018 Association Minutes Nebraska East Union 11:30 AM
Call to Order. President Rita Kean called the meeting to order at 11:50am.
1. President read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence in honor of those listed.
- Marge Ambrosius, spouse of Lloyd Ambrosius, Professor of History
- Bianca Antionetta Enza Favale Babchuk- taught at UNL in Sociology & spouse of Wayne Babchuck, Prof of Sociology
- Laurie R. Cosier, Accounting Associate Beadle Center and NU Athletics
- John Demuth, Professor of Chemistry
- Richard “Dick” Fleming, Professor, College of Journalism and Mass Communications, University of Nebraska, 1976-80; Associate professor, Department of Information, College of Agriculture and Home Economics at the University of Nebraska, 1956-1963. Director of University Information at the University of Nebraska and assistant to the Chancellor, 1973-76
- Doreen Jose, spouse of Doug Jose, Professor of Agricultural Economics
- Christy Horn, Director, NU Accommodations Resource Center , Center for Instructional Innovation , VP for Business & Finance University Libraries
- Loren Marks, Department of Physics and Astronomy
- James J. Mitchell, College of Education and Human Sciences
- Robert “Bob” Reineke, Adjunct Professor, Research and Statistics
- Mary Lou Retzlaff, Administrative Assistant
- Joseph Francis Vrtiska, Facilities Manager
- Ruby Doris Wittman, Secretary, Vice President for Business and Finance, NU System
2. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Earl Hawkey reported the association is solvent.
3. Updates and Reminders.
- Awards Committee. Pat Crews reminded members that award submissions for Wisherd Award for Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities grants and nominations (letters) for Service to University of Nebraska-Lincoln Award and Service to the Community Award are due March 1, 2018. The service awards are new this year.
- International Discussion Group is meeting at Stauffers with OLLI.
- Association Newsletter was distributed on February 17, 2018.
- OLLI Course Spring 2018 will be available to Emeriti and Retiree Association members.
- Meeting the Needs of First Generation Students Coffee Chat for faculty and staff will be held Thursday, March 1, 7:30am-9:30am with Dr. Elviara Abrica at Cather Dining Hall.
- Coffee House Chats schedule announced:
- April 11—Haymarket Courtyard (808 P Street) with the Crescent Moon Coffee Shop (under 10,000 Villages at 8th and P Streets) as alternative site in case of inclement weather.
- May 9—Outside deck at Wilderness Ridge.
- Member Relations. Kay Rockwell and Doug Zatechka have arranged a tour of University Housing on March 23. Details were available in a handout.
- Benefits. An updated listing of Benefits is being developed and will be posted on the association website.
- Vice President Jeff Keown introduced the luncheon speaker, Kim Hachiya, retired writer, University Communications, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Hachiya’s program was entitled Japanese Internment and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She included information on the Japanese internment nationally during World War II and the role the University played in providing educational opportunities for Nisei (second generation American) Japanese college students, including her father and uncle, during this time. She also showed a video produced by University Communications featuring
- Future luncheons scheduled:
- Tuesday, March 20—Drones and the First Amendment—Matt Waite, Professor of Practice, College of Journalism and Mass Communications, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Thursday, April 19—21st Century Technologies for Agricultural Production Systems—Dr. Joe Luck, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist for Precision Agriculture, Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- President’s Luncheon—May TBA
5. Meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm.