October 2014 Association Minutes
October 2014 Association Minutes East Campus Union
A luncheon was served to approximately 60 members with 4 brown bagging members.
President, John Comer, welcomed members to another academic year.
1. Memory Moments were held for: Connie Fleming, spouse of Dick Fleming, AgLEC (Agricultural Leadership, Education, & Communication; Norman Geske, Sheldon Art Gallery; Pearl Goldenstein, spouse of the late Erwin Goldenstein, Education and Human Sciences; Naomi Kay Hull, spouse of Ron Hull, ETV; James G. Kendrick, Agricultural Economics and Emeriti Board Member; Daniel B. Lutz, Agricultural Communications and former Board Member; Ralph R. Marlette, Civil Engineering; and Walter Mientka, Mathematics and Statistics, and former Board Member.
Program: Vice-President, Duane Eversoll, introduced Kate A. Engel, Community Engagement and Operations Manager for the Nebraska Innovative Campus (NIC), a collaboration among the NIC, UNL, and the larger community. She described the twenty-five year vision including physical space, events, and programs to be utilized by students, faculty, staff, and community.. Operational themes are Food, Fuel, and Water with sustainability. After a question period, Ms. Engel was presented with an Emeriti Mug and thanked for her presentation.
Business Meeting. John Comer, president, convened the business meeting at 12:30 pm.
1. Election of Officers: The Nominating Committee proposed the following slate for elected officers: Vice-President and President-Elect, James Griesen; and Board Member, John Bernthal. Since no nominations came from the floor, John Comer moved the slate be approved, and Dick Dienstbier seconded the motion. It was approved unanimously.
2. Report from Big X Conference of Retiree Organizations. Julie Johnson reported on the August 2014 Conference held at the University of Minnesota with twelve institutions represented. Questions considered were: What are our values? What values do we have related to UNL and the local and larger community? Are we marketing our value well? What are the financial contributions to the Foundation? Do we prepare new retirees well?
3. Purposes of the Big Ten Association of Retirees. The 2015 Annual Conference will be at Michigan State University and UNL Emeriti Association will host the 2016 Conference. The budget for this event is $23,000. The Board members have agreed to contribute $100 per Board Member, and association members are invited to consider a tax-deductible contribution to the NU Foundation Fund #13266. Member support for this effort will demonstrate commitment that may assist in further funding.
4. Membership. Roger Kirby, Chair, reported that individual dues for 2014 are being accepted. Letters will go out in December to members requesting dues payment. Dues are $10 per year, $25 for three years, or $200 for a tax-deductible life membership.
5. Member Relations: Kay Rockwell, Chair, reported Nancy Aden has organized the following events:
October 30, 2014, 9:30-10:30 am, Coffee Chats Halloween Party, (costumes recommended), to be held at Gail and Jeff Keown's home, 9340 Whispering Wind Road.
December 11, 2014, Coffee Chats Christmas Party. TBA.
Meeting adjourned at 12:50 pm.