March 2017 Association Minutes
March 2017 Association Minutes Nebraska East Union
Call to Order. Vice President Rita Kean called the meeting to order at 11:40am and announced the buffet line was open for lunch.
Memory Moments. Vice President Kean read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence to honor those listed.
- Thomas Wesley Dorn, Extension
- Clinton A. Hoover, Nebraska Center for Continuing Education, Extension
- Janet Kay (Longsine) John, UNMC College of Dentistry
- Daniela Aileen O’Keefe, Horticulture
- Karen Kay Weed, Student Health Center
- Max Poole, Educational Administration
Luncheon Programs/Introduction of Speaker. Vice President Kean introduced Joe Starita, Professor of Journalism and Mass Communications and author of the book A Warrier of the People: How Susan La Flesche Overcame Racial and Gender Inequality to Become America’s First Indian Doctor. He discussed the life and time in which Dr. La Flesche lived and worked, a time before women could vote and American Indians did not have citizenship. Following his presentation and a time of questions/answers, Starita stayed to sell and sign copies of his book.
Vice President Kean announced the program for April meeting of the UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association. The meeting will be held Tuesday, April 18 at the Nebraska East Union, and the program will be presented by Robert Diffendal, Emeritus Professor Survey Division—School of Natural Resources, and Adjunct Professor University Museum. His focus will be his newly published book, Great Plains Geology.
The meeting schedule for the remainder of 2017 includes:
- Friday, June 2, President Bounds Retiree Luncheon, Embassy Suites, LaVista, NE
- September TBA, Chancellor Ronnie Green Luncheon
- Tuesday, October 17, Mike Boehm, Harlan Vice Chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources and Vice President of Agriculture and Natural Resources for the University of Nebraska System.
- Thursday, November 16, John Woollam, George Holmes Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering, Founder and President, JA Woollam Company.
Collegial Memberships. Vice President Kean announced the board has approved 22 collegial members. She encouraged those present to send names and contact information for others who have retired from the university and are eligible for membership to President Julie Johnson or another board member.
A letter will be sent to all UNL official retirees, and a “Become a Member” section has been added to the website.
Treasurer’s Report. Vice President Kean reported for Jack Goebel that the organization is solvent.
- Vice President Kean announced there will be no Coffee House Chat in April. On May 10, 2017 there will be a Coffee House Chat at the home of Don and Rita Weeks. More information will be provided later.
- Past President Jim Griesen reported a survey of members will be sent out in the near future to determine information regarding future programming, involvement in the university/community, professional associations, and years of service.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm.