February 2017 Association Minutes
February 2017 Association Minutes Nebraska East Union 11:30am
1. Call to Order/Memory Moments. President Julie Johnson called the meeting to order at 12:05pm. She read the Memory Moments listing and asked members to pause for a moment of silence to honor those listed.
- LuAnne Rose Anderson, Modern Languages
- Allen Edison, Electrical Engineering
- Franklin Eldridge, Animal Science
- Glenn Froning, Food Science and Technology
- Eugene Larson Martin, Microbiology
Identified by University Administration
- Melvin Earnest Lyon, English
- Betty Johnson
- Glenna Chamberlin
- Eunice Spencer
2. Program. Vice President Rita Kean introduced Shawn Eichorst, Director of University Athletics. Eichorst’s presentation was entitled There is No Student Athlete Experience Like Nebraska. He discussed the relationship between the university and athletics, the NCAA and Nebraska, and UNL’s athletes opportunities to succeed. At the conclusion of his presentation, he took questions from the membership.
3. Upcoming March Program. Vice President Kean announced the program for Thursday, March 16, 2017 will be Joe Starita, Professosr of Journalism and Mass Communications, who will be discussing his new book, A Warrior of the People. He will make available and sign copies of the book at the meeting.
4. Collegiate Members. President Julie Johnson welcomed new collegial members attending the meeting. She encouraged all members to help the board identify retirees who qualify and might be interested in membership. She is developing a letter to go to all new and current retirees. UNL Human Resources will send the letter to all new retirees at the time of retirement. President Johnson also will speak at Human Resources’ two pre-retirement seminars this year to introduce the organization and encourage membership.
5. Treasurer’s Report. President Johnson reported the association is solvent. She also reported the association president, vice president, and past president met with the Nebraska Foundation to discuss funds held at the Nebraska Foundation: the Maude E. Wisherd Fund (endowed), the UNL Emeriti and Retiree Association Fund, and the UNL Emeriti Association Big 10 Conference Fund. As a result of that meeting and board discussion, the board voted to move remaining money from the Big 10 Emeriti Fund and enough money from the spendable amount of the Wisherd Fund to the UNL Emeriti and Retiree Association Fund so that the association will have two endowed funds earning interest. She welcomed member questions.
6. Committee Reports. President Johnson reported:
- Students from the College of Journalism and Mass Communications are continuing to work on a new brochure for the association.
- Doug Jose will be developing the fall association newsletter.
- Jim Griesen is heading up a committee to develop a survey of members to gage the volunteer engagement in university and community activities.
- Kay Rockwell is working on a June event at Prairie Pines.
7. Table Giveaways. The person at each table who retired most recently was given opportunity to choose an association gift.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm.