April 2017 Board Minutes
April 2017 Board Minutes
Members Present: John Bernthal, John Comer, Pat Crews, Jack Goebel, Jim Griesen, Julie Johnson, Doug Jose, Rita Kean, Roger Kirby, Vi Schroeder, Al Seagren, Doug Zatechka
President Julie Johnson called the meeting to order at 1:30pm.
- M. Marie Fischer, Community and Regional Planning
- Betty Jean Sjogren (Merle), UNMC
- Gay Gallop, wife of Gordon Gallop, Professor of Chemistry
2. Collegial Memberships: Potential new members:
- Judy Nelson (Agricultural Communications)
- Ken Jensen (Education and Human Sciences
- Diane Sealock (Education and Human Sciences)
Jim Griesen moved and Al Seagren seconded that new collegial members be approved; motion carried.
- President Johnson reported she presented information about the UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association (UNL ERA) at two Human Resources pre-retirement sessions on April 10, 2017.
- Discussion was held about whether potential members who sign up on the association website need to have their retirement status verified. Roger Kirby will bring any prospective collegial membership from the web to the next board meeting so retirement can be checked by Human Resources
- Emeriti nursing faculty from the Lincoln nursing program are eligible for membership in the UNL ERA as are emeriti Dentistry faculty (college located in Lincoln).
3. Update on Alumni Collaboration:
- President Julie Johnson, Vice President Rita Kean, and Past President Jim Griesen met with Shelley Zaborowski and Carrie Myers of the Nebraska Alumni Association (NAA).
- The revised proposal will be brought by Shelley to the next board meeting. President Johnson asked all board members to think about and bring questions to the next meeting about these general parts of the proposal:
- Identity and autonomy of the UNL ERA would be retained.
- $40 annual membership paid to the NAA which would handle all accounting. NAA to give UNL ARA $500 annually. Is that enough? Will it cover our expenses? Does there need to be an escalation clause?
- Newsletter distribution handled by NAA.
- Venue, Nebraska Innovation Campus, provided twice a year at no cost. We have six meetings.
- Database improved
- NAA to explain other benefits.
- Membership in both organizations, not just one. Life members grandfathered.
4. Treasurer’s Report:
- President Johnson reported the Foundation document creating a new endowed fund was signed and sent back to the NU Foundation.
- The Executive Committee authorized payment for membership in the Association of Retirement Organization in Higher Education (AROHE). The membership fee is $120; Jack Goebel to pay the fee.
5. Update on Programs:
- Vice President Rita Kean reported there are 63 registrations for next week’s general membership meeting; seven have requested no lunch. Bob Diffendahl will speak about his new book, Great Plains Geology.
- June 2, 2017, will be President Bounds’ luncheon for retirees at the LaVista Embassy Suites. A printed invitation will be sent from the president’s office.
- September will be the Chancellor’s luncheon, date TBD.
- October 17, 2017, the speaker will be Mike Boehm, Harlan Vice Chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources and Vice President of Agriculture and Natural Resources for the University of Nebraska System.
- November 16, 2017, the speaker will be John Woollum, George Holmes Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering, Founder and President, JA Woollum Company.
6. Update on Survey:
- Past President Griesen reported as of today 136 of approximately 450 had responded to the survey. He indicated the survey would remain open until after the April general membership meeting so attendees who had not responded could be reminded to do so.
- He thanked the survey committee for their work, and suggested a survey of this general type should be conducted periodically, perhaps every other year.
- Some preliminary results:
- 118 of 136 respondents are members of UNL Emeriti and Retirees Association
- 104 of 134 live within a 30 mile radius of Lincoln
- 41 of 134 are members of OLLI
- 64 of 131 are members of NAA
- 75 of 129 had post-retirement academic engagements at UNL in the past five years
- 76 of 128 have been actively involved in one of more professional organization since retirement.
7. Update on Brochure:
- President Johnson reported the newsletter committee met and drafted suggestions for changes to the proposed brochure. Most of the changes were forwarded to the committee from the discussion at the last UNL ERA board meeting.
- The newsletter committee will meet with Jacht Ad Club students and their advisor to present suggestions/changes. It is hoped this meeting will be held yet in April.
8. Update on Awards:
- Al Seagren reported the committee had met and will meet again so suggestions/proposals can be shared at the May board meeting.
9. Other Items Related to the Program of Work:
- Newsletter Committee
Doug Jose reported he has articles for both the Eichorst and the Starita programs. He asked for a volunteer to write a summary of the Diffendahl program as it does not look like Duane Eversoll will be able to attend. John Bernthal volunteered. There also will be an article on Twyla Lidolph, Emeritus Extension Educator.
· Member Relations Committee
Kay Rockwell is planning a tour of Prairie Pines in June or July and will report at the May meeting.
· Coffee House Chat Committee
The next Coffee House Chat will be May 10, 2017, 9:30am at the home of Don and Rita Weeks.
10. Other Items of Interest:
Past President Griesen reported the Board of Regents approved naming the administrative suite in the new Willa Cather Dining Center. It will be the Douglas S. Zatechka Suite, and a naming reception will be held on May 11, 2016 at 3:00pm. That is the date of our next board meeting; Doug invited all board members to attend the reception. Congratulations to Doug!
Meeting adjourned at 2:15pm.